Friday, December 6, 2013

GameArt Update

I have been working mostly on the game art in the past few weeks. I started by deciding the art style we where going for. This really depended on the fact if we wanted to make everything ourselves or not.

I started by using my own made model of a space ship. I made this model in Maya.

I realized that making all the models and textures would take too much time. That’s why I started to search for model under the license of Creative Commons. I found a lot of really good models on tf3dm.com, for instance, the space ship models of tf3dm.com/user/herminio. I then tried to implement one of his spaceship models, but this turned out to be more work than expected, because the models had lots of problems in a game engine due to wrong backface culling. I fixed this by editing the model in Maya and manually reversing the normal. I also separated the weapons from the model so they can be controlled separately. Here's a picture of the space ship I am talking about:

A lot of the other models for the spaceships we want to use are of the same artist, so most likely I have to spend a lot of time on them to be able to use them, as I expect most of them will have the same backface issue, but in my opinion these are the best free models I could find. They look absolutely great and fit together too, and it takes up much less time than making everything ourselves. Next I looked up some asteroids and made a Unity package of them, this went quite easy.

I also worked on the logo of our company BulletProof games. This logo is now visible on top of the page. The font I used is Airstrike by Iconian Fonts - Daniel Zadorozny, and is free to use for anyone.

Brian van Nunen ~ BulletProof Games

No comments:

Post a Comment