Monday, January 13, 2014

And let there be ligh... erm... A SONG!

So, I was in charge of the sounds and music. For the sounds it wasn't such a challenge. I used Star Wars and Halo sound effects for the weapons, and made my own spaceship sound by filtering and mixing jet turbines, fans, and other industrial motor sounds. The results are lovely. I haven't done much in the vacation, so now it's up to me to get back on track. I did try out some tunes for the background music though, although nothing really sounded like I wanted it too. Mathijs is convinced that a heavy metal backing track would do the trick, but I beg to differ. Some metal influences and guitars growling would fit better in my opinion. It took me a while to come up with something good, because I started from the influences (what Mathijs wanted), instead of from a strong core. So I looked up some soundtracks of other space/sci-fi games, like Mass Effect, Halo, Galaga, and even Space Invaders (even though Galaga is just 8-bit music and Space Invaders is just 4 notes), and eventually I got a tune. I've been working on it for a while now. So far it's a spacy, ominous intro, which will then go into some heavier stuff, with shimmering strings, ethereal voices and, of course, a crunching guitar, which I'll leave for Mathijs. There's a demo of the song attached to this blog. Check it out, because this is going to be an amazing theme.

-Emile


No comments:

Post a Comment